ROASTER - GASLIGHT COFFEE ROASTERS
Gaslight Coffee Roasters is a boutique specialty coffee roaster located in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago. Since 2012, our focus and mission has been to curate and introduce delicious, novel and traceable single origin coffees for all who enjoy coffee in its many ways. We are proud to present our coffees in a manner that is accessible and approachable for the well-versed connoisseur to the beginner. Our team of back and front of house staff is professional, collaborative, and curious about coffee, hospitality and providing a best-in-class experience for our customers.
The Roaster is a member of the roasting team (together with the Green Buyer) responsible for roasting coffee to the highest specialty standards and managing operations within the roastery. The Roaster position requires a high level of detail in both roasting and functions supporting the roast operations. This role is approximately 20-30 hours per week and reports to the Green Buyer / Managing Partner.
- Responsible for production roasting based on roast profiles developed through sample roasting and cupping process.
- Responsible for profiling new coffees to ensure optimal flavor in regards to sweetness and acidity.
- Quality control through cuppings of all production roasts.
- Responsible for proper inventory of in-house and warehouse green coffee for optimal freshness.
- Roast sample green coffees from various importers and producers and provide prompt evaluation and cupping reports.
- Maintain proper roasted coffee inventory for cafe.
- Ensure excellent cleanliness and maintenance of roastery, equipment and storage areas.
- Proficiency with Cropster used in conjunction with roasting.
- Responsible for educating staff on all coffees through focused cuppings and information sharing.
- Provide training and guidance to apprentice roaster(s).
- Maintain relationships with importers and producers as needed.
- Build out standard operating procedures in roasting department handbook.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 3+ years in coffee roasting operations with experience profiling 85+ coffees.
- 3+ years developing and implementing production roast profiles including experience with exotic processed green coffee.
- 3+ years roasting green coffee samples, evaluating for defect, inconsistency.
- Preference for some green buying experience.
- Passionate about specialty coffee and interest in developing a high caliber roasting program.
- Ability to continually develop coffee tasting and evaluation skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships.
- Have a positive approach to work; able to effectively receive and communicate feedback.
- Ability to lift 50lbs+ consistently.
Position includes one week paid vacation.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email Kori Crockett, Managing Partner, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following: your resume as an attachment and a short cover letter within the body of the email. Please include the job title in the subject line.