We are searching for our next Head Roaster to lead our coffee production team. The Head Roaster plays a pivotal role in Speedwell Coffee’s production team. The Head Roaster will oversee daily production, have significant influence over key coffee decisions, and ensure that roasting facilities and equipment run smoothly.
Summary of duties and responsibilities:
- Daily roasting responsibilities on Diedrich CR-25 roaster.
- Sample roasting and evaluation.
- Experience with coffee profile development with the ability to make adjustments as needed.
- Ensure that orders are fulfilled in a timely and efficient manner.
- Oversee and participate in production team, including:
- Filling and shipping operations
- Customer Communication
- Weekly Quality Control Cuppings.
- Monitor and help project green coffee inventory.
- Maintain a consistently high level of communication with the team members.
- Participate and/or lead quality control sessions with the owner.
- Ensure for a safe, proper and extremely clean work environment, while complying with necessary food and safety guidelines at all times.
- Clean and maintain equipment and maintain standards for preventative maintenance.
- Aptitude for continuing education on coffee
- Minimum of 2+ years of production roasting experience.
- A passion for coffee and an understanding of our role in the coffee chain.
- Prior experience with roasting tools such as Cropster.
- A desire to learn and ability to apply and share knowledge.
- Must be a team player.
- Must have an entrepreneurial, self-starter approach to problem-solving while demonstrating an ability to take direction from leadership.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of roasting and lifting green and roasted coffee, including the ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time each day in a warehouse environment.
- Recognize the value in repetition and the consistency of daily activities.
- An extreme level of attention to detail and focus.
- Noise level intermittently high at times of loading coffee. Ear protection provided.
- Green coffee tends to be dusty.
- Roasting machines and the environment in which roasting happens can get warm and temperatures fluctuate.
- Health and Dental Benefits after 90 days.
- Simple IRA Retirement Plan after 1 year.
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays