Specialty Coffee Roaster Seeking Director of Coffee
Mr. Espresso, Specialty Coffee Roaster in Oakland, California, specializing in Italian espresso and coffees for contemporary tastes, is searching for a passionate, talented, and motivated individual to join our team as Director of Coffee.
The Director of Coffee will work collaboratively with our Vice President of Coffee, John Di Ruocco, to drive our coffee program in the following areas:
- Mastering the art Oak Wood Roasting.
- Quality Control: manage coffee quality control functions and initiatives for consistency and continual improvement
- Cupping and Tasting: regular cupping and tasting which includes green sample evaluation, production roast evaluation, blend optimization, staff and customer education.
- Blend Development: work with roaster to develop and maintain blends
- Roast Profile Development: work with roaster to develop and maintain roast profiles
- Green Coffee Purchasing: help secure and build long term relationships with coffee producers and importers with a focus on quality and sustainability
- Curation of Coffee Offering: help manage current coffee offering, optimizing breadth of current selection while identifying opportunities for improvement
- Public Relations– participate in Marketing & PR efforts aimed towards promoting current and new coffees, with goal of building awareness and driving sales
Desired Experience, Skills, and Traits:
- Minimum 7 years working in specialty coffee industry
- Minimum 5 years coffee roasting experience
- Extensive knowledge of different coffee brewing methods
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong mechanical and technological skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Passionate, driven, independent, loyal, flexible, hard working, patient
Compensation is TBD based on experience, plus benefits which include health, dental, and 401k. Please send a cover letter along with a copy of your resume embedded in the email. Mr. Espresso has been family owned and operated since 1978 and is well known for our signature slow roasting over an Oak Wood fire, and direct importation and distribution of FAEMA espresso machines from Italy. Founder Carlo Di Ruocco is still involved in the business as are his wife, 3 children, and son in law. The next generation (John, Laurence, Luigi, Alex) are working hard every day to move the company forward while staying true to its traditions.
Mr. Espresso is an Equal Opportunity Employer.